Managing an Expanding Business, With Your Mission Guiding the Way
Managing an Expanding Business, With Your Mission Guiding the Way written by John Jantsch read more at Duct Tape Marketing
This week on the Duct Tape Marketing podcast, I sit down with Matt Scanlon, owner of The Hill KC in Kansas City. Formerly known as CrossFit Memorial Hill, the business began as a CrossFit gym. Once Scanlon began running the gym, he started to notice other ways to serve the community.
His business today is a hybrid: While they still have traditional CrossFit classes, they have also expanded into offering corporate wellness products (with digital products to support an audience outside of the Kansas City area). Additionally, Scanlon has created a nonprofit that enables people with disabilities, cancer survivors, veterans, and seniors on a fixed income to get access to preventative wellness care through The Hill KC.
It was a treat to be able to talk to a small business owner in my own backyard. The challenges Scanlon faces will look familiar to any entrepreneur, as will his passion for the work he does.
Questions I ask Matt Scanlon:
- Have you changed people’s perception of CrossFit in order to open your business up to a wider range of people?
- How are you hoping to expand The Hill KC in the future?
- How did you manage keeping your existing clients happy as you transitioned to a new business model?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- The pros and cons of working within the bounds of an already established brand.
- How focusing on your mission can help clarify the next steps you should take to grow your business.
- What brick and mortar businesses can do to get creative about scaling.
Key takeaways from the episode and more about Matt Scanlon:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Gusto! Payroll and benefits are hard. Especially when you’re a small business. Gusto is making payroll, benefits, and HR easy for modern small businesses. You no longer have to be a big company to get great technology, great benefits, and great service to take care of your team.
To help support the show, Gusto is offering our listeners an exclusive, limited-time deal. Sign up today, and you’ll get 3 months free once you run your first payroll. Just go to Gusto.com/TAPE.
Source: Feed 3